Physiotherapy can be an effective course of treatment to manage the symptoms of chronic chest and lung conditions. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a collection of lung diseases; emphysema, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive airways disease. There are also other respiratory diseases we can treat the symptoms for, such as asthma and pneumonia.
Each type of disease carries its own list of symptoms but the main ones are:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
- Coughing with phlegm
- Regular chest infections
- Chest pain
When a condition reaches a stage where carrying out daily tasks becomes a struggle or has led to a spell in hospital, a person can tend to become less mobile which will worsen their condition over time.
Help is at hand
Fairhand Visiting Physiotherapists will help you to manage your symptoms, with realistic expectations, so that your day to day tasks can once again become achievable and the risk of an infection returning is reduced.
Your Fairhand physio will;
- Firstly assess your medical history as it’s common to have suffered a number of chest conditions
- Liaise with your GP regarding medication and vaccinations
- Apply hands on chest therapy to ease symptoms, when needed
- Teach you controlled breathing techniques, such as deep breathing, huffing and methods for clearing phlegm
- Show you positions to relieve breathlessness
- Provide practical tips to help manage your symptoms
The information provided on our website is for guidance purposes only and should not be treated as medical advice or professional diagnosis. If you think you may be suffering from a medical condition you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.